The most interesting event to happen to the natural sciences since the discovery of plate tectonics is when MOSAIC IS HIRING! When links are below we are currently accepting applications for the described positions. Please apply to positions most suitable to your skills and experiences. If there are no current openings, check back at a later date.
Seasonal Forestry Technician/Crew Member Position Description:
Mosaic Ecology LLC is hiring seasonal crew members for the 2018 field season for both our Hillsboro and NE Portland crews.
Start: April 16th, 2018 (Date Flexible)
End: October 1st, 2018 (Date Flexible)
Minimum commitment to be no less than 16 weeks.
Permanent positions may be available as needed. Seasonal work in future years possible.
Work as part of a team to restore native forests, prairies, and wetlands in the northern Willamette valley and western Columbia Gorge. The job consists of difficult manual labor in the outdoors during all kinds of weather. Requires heavy lifting and long work days. Specific job duties include:
- Maintaining and adding to a positive team environment;
- Following instructions and working productively with a team of diverse individuals;
- Identifying common native and non-native trees, shrubs, and herbaceous species as well as their preferred habitats;
- Removing brush, trees, and weedy vines from restoration sites by using chainsaws, brush cutters and mowers;
- Conducting careful herbicide application to invasive species on a regular basis;
- Maintaining restoration sites by using hand and power tools;
- Planting bare-root and containerized plants, trees, shrubs, plugs and bulbs;
- Making and installing live stake cuttings
- Collecting and sowing native plant seed
- Other duties as assigned
Applicants must be able to show recent experience with conducting outdoors, on-the-ground labor. Examples of relevant experience include ranching, farming, landscaping, industrial tree planting, wild land firefighting, or other reforestation and restoration type work experience. Specific skills that applicants should be able to demonstrate include:
- Ability to regularly perform up to 10 hours of physically demanding and strenuous work;
- Working off trail, on steep and variable terrain;
- Reading maps and having a keen sense of direction in the outdoors;
- Operating gas powered tools (chainsaws, brush cutters, mowers);
- Using hand tools (machetes, loppers, shovels, hand saws, etcetera);
- Basic knowledge of or ability to quickly learn plant identification;
- Utilizing common sense to independently solve problems
- Proficiency with speaking, reading, and writing in English.
Scheduling and Benefits Package:
* Work-Week: 40 hours per week (four to five 8-10 hour days each week). Scheduling to be determined based on weather and work needs.
* Wages: $15/hour worked. Work time does not include the first 30 minutes of drive time to or from the work site. Carpooling to sites is typically provided.
* Paid Time Off (PTO): For seasonal employees, 8 hours of PTO will accrue for every 175 hours worked, starting to accrue at first date of employment.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail to Lauren@MosaicEcology.com the subject line reading "Seasonal Forestry Technician/Crew Member job application".
Mosaic Ecology LLC offers equal employment opportunity to all individuals, regardless of race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, medical condition, gender identity or sexual orientation.